How to Write Your Story – And Why It Matters to God
“But set Christ apart as Lord in your hearts and always be ready to give an answer to anyone who asks about the hope you possess.” 1 Peter 3:15 (NET)
We all have stories. Some are filled with adventures; others may recount seasons of struggle. Through it all, as children of God we each have a powerful story to share of how we came to Jesus and difference he has made in our lives. Along the way, sharing our story can help others discover the unfathomable peace and joy we receive through a personal relationship with God.
Your personal testimony is simply the story of how God is working every day in your life. Many of us are hesitant to share the impact Jesus has had on our lives with others because we may think we’re not equipped, or not knowledgeable enough to be a witness for God. But nothing could be further from the truth!
If you have come to know Christ as your Lord and Savior, and if He has changed your heart and your life, you have everything you need! Your story of the work and power of Jesus in your life is the most convincing and powerful way to share the gospel.
Why Sharing Your Personal Story with Others is Important
- It grows our faith in God. When we express our faith to others, that faith grows stronger. The more we share, the bolder we get in telling our stories to those we meet. As Paul wrote in 2 Timothy 1:7, “For the Spirt God gave us does not make us timid, but gives us power.”
- It grows the faith of others. After he had risen from the grave, Jesus appeared to his disciples, encouraging them to share their stories with believers and unbelievers alike to increase the faith of those who would hear. In Mark 16:15-16, he tells them, “Go into all the world and preach the gospel to all creation. Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved.”
- It gives other believers the courage to share their stories. When traveling with his disciples, Jesus stopped in a town along the Sea of Galilee where he drove demons from a homeless man. Once this was done, Jesus told them man to share his testimony. As we read in Luke 8:30, Jesus said to the man “Return home and tell how much God has done for you.” This is exactly what the man did.
- It glorifies the Lordship of Jesus in our lives. Speaking to a large crowd in the midst of Pharisees and who were arguing against his ministry, Jesus told his followers “I tell you, whoever publicly acknowledges me before others, the Son of Man will also acknowledge before the angels of God” (Luke 12:8).
- It reveals the power of God. In his letter to the church at Rome, Paul was explaining the mystery of God’s plan for salvation while sharing his own story. He writes in Romans 5:8, “But God demonstrates His own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us.”
Writing Your Story
A natural question for many of us is how to summarize a lifetime of experiences into a few minutes and effectively communicate the significance of our faith in a simple way others can understand. It can be a challenge!
Here are a few ideas we’ve used for writing our own testimonies. Remember sharing your story can be life changing for someone else and give them the courage to write their own, all while glorifying God.
First and most important, pray! Begin by asking God to direct you and guide you through the process by the power of His Spirit to give you wisdom as you write. Don’t concern yourself with editing at this stage, just write your ideas down.
Describe your life before you trusted Christ as your Savior and Lord. Keep it simple and honest be vulnerable about your struggles, sin, or the condition of your heart. Where did you get your identity or happiness before knowing Him?
Describe what led you to Christ and how it changed you. How did your perspective begin to change towards Christ? Why did you decide to give Him control over your life?
Describe your life after coming to Christ. How is your life different now? How have your character and attitude changed? What do you live for now and what motivates you? No believer’s life is perfect so how does knowing Christ help you deal with that?
Living Out Your Faith
Always remember God is still working on and through us every day. What a blessing it is to tell others of His powerful work. Not only should we know and share our story with others, but our lives should continue reflecting that story through our actions. As Jesus teaches us in Matthew 5:16, “In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven.”
Jesus asks us to tell others what he has done to bless us. So, let’s take him seriously every day! Share your story freely with anyone who will listen. You may be amazed at the lives you change!
May God always guide your path.